MSU Men’s Soccer Drops Road Opener at Dartmouth

Michigan State University
By  | 

HANOVER, N.H. - For the third-straight game, Michigan State men’s soccer dropped a one-goal decision, falling on the road to Dartmouth, 2-1, Saturday night.

The short-handed Spartans now fall to 0-3-2 this season, while the Big Green improve to 2-1 this season. Michigan State once again played without MAC Hermann Trophy candidates Giuseppe Barone and Patrick Nielsen who have been battling injuries all season.

“It was a tough match tonight, but I think our players played with a lot of spirit. It was a great crowd and a great environment. We went down on a re-start and we have to keep working on that. We are going to keep work on this and keep getting better. That is what this team is lacking a bit. We will get some rest, get to work and get ready for Western Michigan on Friday,” MSU head coach Damon Rensing said.

Sophomore forward Farai Mutatu was dangerous early on off the cross bar in the 23rd minute. The sophomore ended the game with six shots.

The first half was fairly even with the Spartans out-shooting the Big Green, 6-4. Making his first collegiate start, freshman forward Conner George had a solid scoring opportunity in the seventh minute with a long-range shot that was hauled in by Dartmouth goalkeeper Alex Budnik.

Dartmouth got on the board first in the 35th minute with a goal by Braden Salavati. After a direct kick, the Big Green found Salavati who slipped the ball past a diving redshirt-sophomore goalkeeper Hunter Morse to give the Big Green the 1-0 advantage.

The Spartans scored the equalizer in the 52nd minute with junior midfielder Michael Miller’s first goal of the season. Miller’s blast from the center of the box got past the Big Green GK off the assist from redshirt-senior midfielder Cody Sweatte.

“We really played some of our best soccer, and had the ball moving with some great chances, and we were rewarded with a great goal by Michael Miller. I thought Farai was exception today, and Hunter Morse made some great goals,” MSU head coach Damon Rensing said.

The offensive pressure increased for Michigan State in the second half led by Mutatu and Miller, but MSU was unable to find the back of the net.

In the 78th minute, Dartmouth re-took the lead with the first goal of the season by Zach Kalk to give the Big Green the 2-1 advantage.

Michigan State returns to DeMartin Stadium on Friday, Sept. 20 against Western Michigan at 7 p.m. in the Spartans only game of the week.