EAST LANSING, Mi Dates | Times: Friday, Jan. 4 | 7 p.m. // Saturday, Jan. 5 | 8 p.m.
Location: Munn Ice Arena | East Lansing
Promotions: Friday – Stanley Cup at Munn, MSUFCU Night, Family 4 Pack // Saturday – 4 seats, 4 treats
TV: BTN (Fri. & Sat.)
Web Stream: BTN2Go
Radio: Spartan Sports Network | Local: WJIM-AM 1240
On The Fly…
• Michigan State will play its first games of the new calendar year as it resumes Big Ten play on Friday and Saturday at home against No. 7/4 Ohio State.
• It's a quick turnaround for the Spartans as they are coming off playing in the Great Lakes Invitational in Detroit on Sunday and Monday.
• Including the GLI, the Spartans will play eight straight weekends (16 games) before an off weekend (Feb. 22-23).
• Taro Hirose picked up assists in both games of the GLI to boost his nation-leading assist total to 21 – two more than any other player ... Hirose ranks third in the country in points with 28, which is just one shy of co-leaders Evan Barratt and Alex Limoges of Penn State.
• Hirose has points in eight of the last nine games with 14 (2g, 12a) over the span … He has been held without a point in just three of 18 games this season.
• Patrick Khodorenko scored on the power play the last time out, giving him 12 goals on the year, which ranks fourth in the country and second in the Big Ten ... He has 10 points (7g, 3a) over the last 10 games.
• Khodorenko's six power-play goals are tied for the Big Ten lead and are fourth most nationally.
• Dennis Cesana was named to the GLI All-Tournament team after his three-point game (1g, 2a) against LSSU … It was the first three-point game by Spartan defenseman this season and first by an MSU blueliner since Jerad Rosburg on Feb. 24, 2018 at Notre Dame.
• Cesana, who ranks fourth on the team in points with 11 (2g, 9a), is tied for third among all Big Ten rookies in points and second among league's freshmen defensemen.
• Freshman Wojciech Stachowiak led the Spartans in the GLI by scoring the first three goals of his career … He scored twice vs. LSSU and then scored on the power play the following day against Michigan.
• The Spartans had their best two-game series in the faceoff circle with a .602 winning percentage in the dot in the GLI … MSU ranks sixth nationally in faceoff winning percentage at .541.
• Tommy Apap is second in the Big Ten in faceoff winning percentage at .596 (199-135) among centermen that have taken at least 100 draws.
• Freshman goaltender Drew DeRidder made a season-high 45 saves the last time out against Michigan on Dec. 31.
Game Notes in PDF: https://msuspartans.com/documents/2019/1/3//Game_Notes_v_Ohio_State_Jan.pdf?id=9937