• 1 1/2 cups mashed sweet potato (about 2 medium)
• 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese – freshly grated or pre-shredded
• 1 cup extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
• 1/4 cup softened butter (NOT melted)
• 1 1/2 cups Whole Wheat flour – if you use unbleached than the orange color is brighter
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon Turmeric (optional)
• 1/4 cup half-and-half or whole milk
Directions1. Boil a whole sweet potato for 40 minutes until easily pierced with a fork. Drain water and remove skin with a fork or tongs. Keeping the skin on while cooking retains vitamins. Or you can bake it at 375 degrees for about 40 minutes. Mash with a potato masher or in a blender till smooth.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine the cheese, butter, sweet potato puree, flour, and salt in a stand mixer or you can use a hand mixer.
3. Mix on a medium speed until the mixture forms a sandy consistency. Add the half-and-half/milk and knead into a ball. Do not over knead.
4. On a lightly floured surface roll the dough into a rectangle that is 1/8-inch thick. Cut out crackers into desired shape.
5. Gently transfer the strips to a parchment paper lined cookie sheet with a 1/4-inch between them.
6. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the ends are barely browned. Remove from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack to cool.
7. Store in a covered container in a cool place. Enjoy!