• 1 and 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, trim fat from chicken
• 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
• 1 (~4 cups) small butternut squash, de-seeded and chopped (it can be purchased pre-chopped)
• 1 can (15.25 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
• 1 can (15 ounces) kernel corn, drained and rinsed
• 1 can (14.5 ounces) petite diced tomatoes, DO NOT DRAIN
• 2 teaspoons minced garlic
• 1 packet (1.12 ounces) low-sodium fajita seasoning mix
• 6 cups chicken broth
• Salt and pepper to taste
• Optional: chopped green onion, plain Greek yogurt, cheddar cheese
Directions1. Remove the fat from the chicken. Rinse the quinoa in a fine mesh sieve to remove the bitter saponin coating.2. Peel, seed, and chop the butternut squash into small bite-sized pieces (or buy pre-chopped butternut squash for an even faster prep).
3. Rinse and drain the kidney beans and corn.
4. Lightly grease your slow cooker with nonstick spray. Add in the chicken, quinoa, chopped squash, kidney beans, corn, undrained tomatoes, garlic, and fajita seasoning packet.
5. Pour in the chicken broth and give everything a good stir.
6. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or until the quinoa is cooked through and the squash is very tender.
7. The chicken will start falling apart. You may need to use two forks to help shred it fully.
8. Add some salt and pepper to taste and any other seasonings desired. Garnish with green onion, plain Greek yogurt and/or shredded cheddar cheese, as desired. Enjoy!