• 1-2 pounds of cooked chicken – try using rotisserie chicken
• 2 T. unsalted butter
• 6 large carrots, peeled and thinly sliced diagonally
• 4 stalks of celery, ribbed and diced into bite-size pieces
• 1 large yellow onion, diced
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 10 c. low sodium chicken stock
• 20 oz. tortellini pasta with cheese
• 2 c. frozen peas
• 6-10 ounces of baby spinach
• juice and zest of 1 lemon
• 1 T. chopped fresh dill – add more if you would like
• Salt and pepper to taste
Directions1. Using a large pot, turn heat to medium-high. Add butter. Once melted, add carrots, celery
and onion. Stir occasionally, cooking until softened a bit, about 8 minutes.
2. Then stir in the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
3. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to low, cover the pot, and simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Cook the tortellini separately according to the package directions, drain, and reserve them. And then just add the cooked tortellini to the warmed soup before serving. This will avoid mushy tortellini and all the liquid from the soup being soaked up.
5. Add peas, spinach and shredded chicken to the soup. Cover the pot and simmer for about 8 minute. Stir in lemon juice and zest. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper. Stir in dill and amount of desired tortellini. Serve immediately. Enjoy!