• 1 pound eggplant – try baby eggplant or Japanese eggplant
• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
• 1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil
• 1 tablespoon minced ginger
• 1 tablespoon minced garlic
• 8 ounces peeled, deveined shrimp
• 1/4 cup soy sauce
• 1 tablespoon sugar
• 1 tablespoon rice or white wine vinegar
• 1 1/2 teaspoons Asian red chili paste
• 2 teaspoons cornstarch
• 8 ounces extra-firm tofu, drained and cut into 1-inch cubes
• 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
Directions1. Rinse eggplant and cut crosswise into 1-inch thick rounds. Cut rounds into 1-inch-wide strips.
2. Pour vegetable and sesame oils into a 12-inch nonstick frying pan or a 14-inch wok over medium-high heat. When hot, add eggplant and stir frequently until soft when pierced and lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Transfer eggplant to paper towels to drain.
3. Add ginger and garlic to pan and stir frequently until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add shrimp and stir until pink, about 5 minutes.
4. In a bowl, mix soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, chili paste, cornstarch, and 1/4 cup water. Pour into pan and stir until mixture is simmering and thickened, about 1 minute.
5. Gently stir in tofu, eggplant, and green onions until heated through. Serve on top of basmati rice. Enjoy!