• 2½- 3 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 2" pieces 1 onion diced
• 3 cloves garlic, chopped
• 2 tsp curry
• 2 tsp garam masala (found in most grocery store's spice section)
• 1 tsp cumin
• ½ tsp cayenne powder
• ½ tsp ground ginger (or 1"inch knob fresh ginger, minced)
• 1 14 oz. can light coconut milk
• 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
• 3-4 drops liquid smoke (gives the chicken a smokey Tandori type flavor)
• salt, to taste
• ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
• 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets- for cauliflower "rice" (optional) you could also serve over jasmine white or brown rice.
• cilantro, chopped (for garnish) (optional)
• lime (optional)
DirectionsFor the Butter Chicken
1. Place chicken pieces and onion in a slow-cooker. Sprinkle , garlic, curry,garam masala, cumin, cayenne pepper and ginger over chicken pieces. Add coconut milk, tomato paste and liquid smoke. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours.
For the Cauliflower Rice
1. In a blender (or food processor) add approx. 1 cup of the cauliflower florets and process until the cauliflower is the consistency of rice. This will only take a few seconds. Transfer to a large bowl and repeat until the remaining cauliflower is processed. Beware not to overprocess, avoid turning cauliflower into a mash.
2. Coat a large skillet with olive oil, add cauliflower rice and cook on medium-high heat until tender, about 5 minutes.
1. Spoon Butter Chicken over Cauliflower Rice and top with a dollop of yogurt , a squeeze of lime and a sprinkle of cilantro.
If you prefer you can serve butter chicken over jasmine white or brown rice.
For Stovetop version
1. In a large pan over medium heat, sautee onions until translucent (about 5 min.) add spices and cook about 1 minute until fragrant.
2. Stir in coconut milk and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer for 5 min. Add chicken pieces and mix (cover) with sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and continue cooking until chicken is done (approx. 10 min) .