Woman says car caught on fire while warming up

Published: Feb. 2, 2018 at 2:48 AM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

A woman says her 2015 Cadillac CTS caught on fire while it was warming up after she turned it on using remote start.

Lauren Rummell says when she went to put her son in the car she saw smoke.

Within seconds, the smoke turned into visible flames coming out of the car.

The woman says she started heating up her car less than five minutes before she saw the smoke and flames.

According to the fire department, the fire started in the two front seats of the car.

Electrical malfunction or failure was determined to be the cause of the fire.

According to Rummell, firefighters said that the heated seats were also the cause of the fire.

"They hadn't been turning on when I started my car. And they think maybe it's because there was a short and and it decided to come on this time and it went in flames," said Rummell.

Rummell contacted General Motors and the dealership where she got the car.

General Motors is now investigating the incident.