Advertisement

Woman says Fitbit exploded on her wrist leaving her with a 2nd degree burn

(WILX)
Published: Apr. 25, 2017 at 8:00 AM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

A Wisconsin woman is recovering from second degree burns after she says she was burned on her wrist by her Fitbit.

Dina Mitchell of Milwaukee says she had only been wearing the Fitbit Flex 2 device for two weeks when the gadget exploded. She says it happened while she was reading a book. "The Fitbit itself is totally melted. The bracelet melted, and I got pieces of plastic burned into my arm," Mitchell said.

According to Mitchell, doctors had to pick the pieces of plastic out of her wound. She says there was no indication there was anything wrong with the fitness tracker. She says, "this a product so many people use. My nephew, their whole class gets these from their teachers, and they wear them."

The Fitbit comes with a warning, cautioning consumers that "the device contains electrical equipment that could cause injury if not handled properly." Fitbit issued a statement saying the company is investigating the issue and the gadget should not explode under normal use.

Mitchell told a television station, "If they are exploding or if there's some type of malfunction with them. I mean, I'm going to have a scare from this probably, can you imagine what it would do to a child?"

FITBIT Statement:

We are extremely alarmed about Ms. Mitchell's complaint regarding her Flex2 and we are investigating the issue. We are not aware of any other complaints of this nature. In fact, based on our extensive internal and independent safety testing, we do not believe it is possible for this to occur under normal use. The quality of our products and the health and safety of our customers are our top priorities. Fitbit products are designed and produced in accordance with strict standards to ensure the safety of our users.