39 sickened after eating at Tequila's Mexican Grill in Charlotte

By  | 

CHARLOTTE, MI (WILX) The Barry-Eaton District Health Department now says 39 people reported getting sick after eating at Tequila's Mexican Grill in Charlotte.

The customers reported coming down with a gastrointestinal illness, possibly norovirus, after eating at Tequila's between Saturday, June 15 and Tuesday, June 18. The health department still has not determined the source of the illness.

The health department says restaurant staff threw out all ready-to-eat food that was prepared between Sunday and Tuesday. It says environmental cleaning was finished on Wednesday. The restaurant reopened at 12:30pm Wednesday.

Barry-Eaton District Health Department records show Tequila's Mexican Grill was found "in compliance" during an inspection on April 3, 2019. The restaurant was cited for 7 issues including raw chicken stored above ready-to-eat onions and peppers, potentially-hazardous food stored at improper temperatures, a food cooler in poor repair and improper cooling methods.

Anyone who got sick after eating at Tequila's between June 15 and June 18 is asked to contact the Barry-Eaton District Health Department.

Copyright 2019 WILX. All rights reserved.