Teacher saves choking student

By  | 

EATON RAPIDS, Mich. (WILX) - Every second counts when it comes to saving a person's life. And Monday a Mid-Michigan teacher is crowned with that achievement after saving a 6-year-old from choking.

"It happened so quickly, and I was trying to do so many things at that one time, and I looked over and Indigo came up and she was holding her throat and I knew she couldn't breathe," said Faith Ames a teacher at Lockwood Elementary School in Eaton Rapids.

A second later, this interview might not have been the same.

The incident took place right at the beginning of the day at Lockwood Elementary. Ms. Ames, who usually teaches computer class, was filling in for Indigo Bailes' first-grade classroom when a six-year-old began choking on a piece of candy. Indigo told News 10 that she blamed it on her distraction.

"I was talking to someone at my table, and then I was like oh my God I hope I don't choke," said Indigo Bailes.

"I threw down everything in my hands and quickly did the Heimlich on her," said Ames.

Ms. Ames hadn't used CPR in decades, she said it's been about 16 years since she's taken the certification class. Ames did say that CPR training is important for anyone working with children/in the public to take. She's thankful her instinct kicked in so Indigo could breathe again but Indigo said that feeling didn't feel all that good.

"It was kind of scratchy a little. Thought my throat was going to bleed after that," said Bailes.

This incident has motivated Ms. Ames to stay on top of her safety training courses.

"When you're in a situation like that you don't have time to think about it. So I definitely know now to stay up to date on any of my certifications" said Ames.

Indigo said she has learned her lesson about talking and eating or at least focus on chewing while she's eating.

"Just going to wait until the end of the day when we pack up, and I'll get my pencil pouch out and grab it and put it right in my backpack. So when I get home on Monday I can eat it at home," said Bailes.

A six-year-old and a teacher now share a closer bond after their terrifying incident.