BATTLE CREEK, Mich. (AP) - A southern Michigan man is awaiting trial in connection with the carbon monoxide death of his girlfriend's 11-year-old daughter.
Forty-five-year-old Harold Ward is charged with involuntary manslaughter and second degree child abuse in the March 2nd, death of Chloe Stevens.
Police say Ward was running an upholstery business and living in the back of the shop with his girlfriend Sandee Confer and her daughter.
The building lost power so Ward used a gas-powered generator in the building to power a kerosene heater but failed to properly vent the fumes.
All three were discovered unconscious and Chloe later died.
Prosecutors say Ward showed gross negligence.
The defense says the death was an accident and not a crime.
Ward is out of jail on a personal recognizance bond.
A trial date hasn't been set.