UPDATE: Local restaurant cleared to reopen after reports of people being sick

By  | 

CHARLOTTE, MI (WILX) - A local eatery has been cleared to reopen after a food scare.

The Barry-Eaton District Health Department had issued a release on the temporary closing of Tequila's Mexican Grill in Charlotte.

It closed on Tuesday after ten people reported getting sick after eating there.

The people suffered from digestive issues after having lunch there on Sunday, June 16.

The health department investigated the restaurant and cleared them to reopen on Wednesday afternoon.

"In addition to making sure that nobody was showing any symptoms of illness as part of the staff, we also did a lot of environmental cleaning at the restaurant today, [Wednesday] or I should say the staff did. We supervised them," said Greg Cabose, Community Services Supervisor for the health department.

Cabose added that they suspect the illness may be norovirus, but it hasn't been proven.

The restaurant gets routine food inspections twice a year.

"I haven't had any recent complaints. Tuesday was the first recent complaint we've had in a while," Cabose said.

They received the first complaint Tuesday morning.

And at this time, everyone who reported being ill is feeling better and the health department is still investigating.

"Very shocked. I'm surprised to hear that. Very sad," said Vicki Whitaker, a resident of Charlotte. "I'd want to investigate more and see what was going on and what shut em down. I will not be coming back."

If you ate at Tequila’s Mexican Grill (430 N Cochran Ave, Charlotte, MI 48813) on Sunday, June 16th through Tuesday, June 18th and are feeling ill (especially with nausea, abdominal cramping, vomiting, or diarrhea), please contact BEDHD’s Environmental Health Division at (517) 541-2615. If you are feeling sick, please also contact your health care provider.

Copyright 2019 WILX. All rights reserved.