UPDATE: Lansing man dies 6 weeks after being hit by school bus

The family of Dennis Palomo, 60, said he died Friday morning from injuries he sustained when...
The family of Dennis Palomo, 60, said he died Friday morning from injuries he sustained when he was hit by a bus in October. (WILX)
Published: Dec. 2, 2019 at 5:54 PM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

Lansing police say a 60-year-old man has died six weeks after he was struck by a school bus while crossing a city street in October.

The Lansing Police Department has confirmed the man hit by a Dean Transportation bus was 60-year-old Dennis Palomo of Lansing.

Palomo died on Friday November 29 from his injuries.

Lansing Police were dispatched to the area of north Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. near Filley Street on Monday, Oct. 21 at approximately 7:37 a.m. for a

Witnesses told officers a yellow bus drove off after the man was struck, Lansing police said.

Palomo was transported by the Lansing Fire Department to the hospital with critical injuries.

At the time of the accident, Dean Transportation acknowledged one of its buses was involved in the crash in a press release. They also released the following statement:

"We are deeply saddened for the family of the individual involved in this tragic accident and our hearts and prayers go out to them. Day in and day out, our drivers are keenly focused on transporting people safely to and from their destinations while serving as strong community-focused advocates. This incident has shaken our entire organization. We remain deeply committed to understanding how this accident happened and are working with the agencies involved in the investigation.”

Palomo's family and friends say he was the epitome of a good person.

"I worked with him, grew up with him, went to school with him,” said Palomo’s friend Stan Shuck. “We played football and sports together, it was your average little rascals neighborhood, and we were the little rascals."

Lansing Police Public Information Director Robert Merritt says children were on the bus at the time of the crash but none were injured.

The driver is on administrative leave pending the results of an investigation. Merritt says he will be taken to the prosecutor's office for review soon.

Copyright 2019 WILX. All rights reserved.