UPDATE: James Chance convicted in dismemberment cover-up case

By  | 

GRAND RAPIDS, Mi. (WILX) — James Chance, 77, has been convicted of accessory after the fact in the dismemberment of Ashley Young, according to WOOD TV.

A jury acquitted James Chance of one count of perjury and was deadlocked on a second count of perjury.

The accessory charge carries a maximum charge of five years in prison.

Chance was accused of trying to help his son Jared cover up the dismemberment of Young.

Jared Chance, is serving 100 to 200 years in prison for killing Young, 31, of Oshtemo Township. Her partial remains were found Dec. 2, 2018, in the Grand Rapids house where Jared Chance was renting an apartment. Her head, hands and feet have still not been recovered.

Last week, jurors saw a transcript of James Chance's December 2018 interrogation with police in which he said his son admitted to dumping parts of her body in trash cans around metro Grand Rapids.

Over the course of the trial, prosecutors tried to prove James Chance intentionally omitted details about where the family stopped when some of Young's body parts were in the car, hindering the investigation and recovery of remains. They said a short trip to the Grand Rapids Police Department before Young's remains were found — when the family left because James Chance wanted his son to have an attorney present before speaking with investigators — was a ruse to buy time.

But the defense said any omissions were simply the result of a faulty memory, not deliberate lies. They said it was police who dropped the ball when the Chance family went to GRPD, not James Chance.

The jury deliberated for about four hours Friday before breaking for the weekend. They reconvened at 8 a.m. Monday.

Copyright 2020 WILX. All rights reserved.