DELHI TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WILX)-- News 10's Lora Painter heads in the kitchen with the Delhi Township Fire department for their special Big Mike's Guns a' Blazen' Chili Recipe.
Big Mikes "Guns a Blazin" Chili recipe
Delhi Township fire department
· 2 pounds ground beef chuck
· [ ]1 pound bulk Italian sausage
· [ ]3 (15 ounce) cans chili beans, drained
· [ ]1 (15 ounce) can chili beans in spicy sauce
· [ ]2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
· 1 (15 ounce) can corn (drained)
· [ ]1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
· [ ]1 large sweet onion, chopped
· [ ]3 stalks celery, chopped
· [ ]1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
· [ ]1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
· 1 habanero, minced
· [ ]4 tablespoons bacon bits
· [ ]4 cubes beef bouillon
· [ ]1/2 cup beer
· 1/4 cup chili powder
o 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
o [ ]2 tablespoons minced garlic
o [ ]1 tablespoon dried oregano
o [ ]2 tablespoons ground cumin
o [ ]2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce (e.g. Tabasco™)
o [ ]1 teaspoon dried basil
o [ ]2 teaspoon salt
o [ ]1 teaspoon ground black pepper
o [ ]1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
o [ ]1 teaspoon paprika
o [ ]
o [ ]1 bag corn chips such as Fritos®
o 1 (8 ounce) package shredded Cheddar cheese
o 1 container sour cream
1. Heat a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Crumble the ground chuck and sausage into the hot pan, and cook until evenly browned. Drain off excess grease.
2. Pour in the chili beans, spicy chili beans, diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Add the onion, celery, green and red bell peppers, chili peppers, bacon bits, bouillon, and beer. Season with chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, oregano, cumin, hot pepper sauce, basil, salt, pepper, cayenne, paprika, and sugar. Stir to blend, then cover and simmer over low heat for at least 4 hours, stirring occasionally.
3. After 4 hours, taste, and adjust salt, pepper, cumin, and chili powder if necessary. The longer the chili simmers, the better it will taste. Remove from heat and serve, or refrigerate, and serve the next day.
4. To serve, ladle into bowls, and top with corn chips and shredded cheddar cheese and a do-lip of sour cream.