5 children hospitalized following house fire in Detroit
Five children have been injured in a house fire in northwest Detroit.
Investigators say a mattress caught fire in one of the bedrooms.
The mattress was found near a space heater with melted plastic-hangers and several lighters.
Deputy fire commissioner Dave Fornell says the children, three girls and two boys, -- ages 4 months to 4 years old -- were taken to a hospital Thursday morning. The children suffered from smoke inhalation. Their conditions were not immediately available.
A firefighter also suffered an injury while trying to enter the home. His injury was not considered life-threatening.
The fire was reported about 9:20 a.m. and is under investigation. Police said adults inside the home put the blaze out before firefighters arrived.