Michigan house fire caused by hot ashes dumped into trash
ANN ARBOR, Mich. (WILX) - Fire crews are urging Michiganders to be vigilant after a house fire Monday.
According to authorities, it happened just after 11 a.m. at an Ann Arbor home, located near the intersection of King George Boulevard and Esch Avenue. The Ann Arbor Fire Department said a fire in a trash bin caught the outside of the house on fire, with some damage inside the garage.
Fire crews believe the fire was caused unintentionally by hot ashes.
The department released several tips to avoid similar incidents in the future:
- Let the ashes cool completely before transferring them to an ash bucket. You may want to use long gloves that will protect your hands and arms from hot embers along with a shovel designed specifically for the job. Water is your friend at this point, mix in some until the ashes turn clumpy.
- Always place ashes in a non-combustible container with a sealable lid. Metal containers are the best but should also include a metal lid
- Store the ash bucket away from the home on metal, concrete or another non-combustible surface.
- Wait at least four days before dumping the ashes.
- Woman pulls out gun over parking spot, Ann Arbor police say
- Consumers Energy preparing for winter weather on Wednesday and Thursday
- MSU warns of scammers profiting off of the ‘Spartan Strong Fund’
- Preparing for Wednesday’s winter storm in the Mid-Michigan area
Subscribe to our News 10 newsletter and receive the latest local news and weather straight to your email every morning.
Copyright 2023 WILX. All rights reserved.