Amtrak offering 11 scholarships for students interested in the railroad industry
LANSING, Mich. (WILX) - The National Passenger Corporation, also known as Amtrak, provides academic scholarships to undergraduate and graduate college students who have an active interest in the railroad industry.
Full-time students can apply for scholarships available through the Amtrak Scholarship Program. According to Amtrak’s website, the program was established to provide support to help encourage academic achievement within railroad programs, ensuring a future in the industry.
Amtrak will award a total of 11 scholarships in categories including IT degrees, Engineering degrees, Women in STEM, and more. You can view the full list of scholarship opportunities available here.
Scholarship applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Student pursuing a degree (undergraduate or graduate) as a full-time student
- Must maintain a minimum GPA of 2.8 at the time of award as proven by an official transcript
- Fill out an electronic application with contact/personal information
- Submission of resume
- Submission of essay 500 words or less. Each scholarship will have unique questions to answer such as the Importance of Sustainable Development in Rail, the Importance of Urban Transportation and Amtrak’s Role, the Impact of Technology on Public Transportation & Diversity in the Railroad
- Candidates are encouraged to submit to more than one scholarship that is available if the criteria is met. Only one scholarship is awarded per person within the academic year
All scholarships are paid with the understanding that, unless otherwise indicated, the money will be used for tuition, fees, books, and equipment required for classes to attain a college degree from a college or university.
The deadline to submit scholarship applications is on Jan. 31 at 11:59 p.m.
Those interested can apply here.
Subscribe to our News 10 newsletter and receive the latest local news and weather straight to your email every morning.
Copyright 2023 WILX. All rights reserved.