Fire crews credit sprinklers for saving Ann Arbor apartment from fire
ANN ARBOR, Mich. (WILX) - Fire crews in Ann Arbor are crediting a sprinkler system preventing a fire from causing significant damage.
Related: Michigan State Police urge caution when using space heaters
According to authorities, the first happened Saturday night at an apartment complex on Lyndenglen Drive. The Ann Arbor Fire Department said the fire was caused by hot ashes being placed on a wood pile on an outside balcony.
The damage to the apartment complex is estimated to be $5,000. Authorities said without the sprinkler, the fire would have made it into the attic before fire crews arrived.
The Ann Arbor Fire Department said any ash removed from a fireplace should be placed in a steel container with a lid and cooled for at least 24 hours. The container should never be inside, on a wooden porch, deck or balcony and needs to be placed at least 10 feet away from any structure to cool.
- ‘Simon knew’ - Students protest former Michigan State president portrait
- DeWitt Township man pleads guilty to abandonment after abused dog found in dumpster
- Sex offender who traveled to meet with child sentenced in Michigan
- Victim identified in M-21 crash in Ovid Township
Subscribe to our News 10 newsletter and receive the latest local news and weather straight to your email every morning.
Copyright 2022 WILX. All rights reserved.