4 children die in Iowa house fire
MASON CITY, Iowa (KTTC/Gray News) – Four children died in a house fire in Mason City, Iowa, on Wednesday morning.
KTTC reported John Michael Mcluer, 12, Odin Thor Mcluer, 10, Drako Mcluer, 6, and Phenix Mcluer, 3, were pronounced dead at the hospital.
The Mason City Fire Department said the fire started as a result of a power strip that was overloaded in the living room.
“The investigators were able to determine that the origin came from that power strip, but the cause of why it malfunctioned or if it was overloaded still needs to be investigated further,” Mason City Fire Department fire chief Eric Bullinger said.
According to the fire department, the fire had spread to the first and second floors of the house by the time crews arrived.
Firefighters began rescue operations and removed multiple victims from the house.
Two people, John Michael Mcluer, 55, and Raven Mcluer, 11, were able to evacuate the home before firefighters arrived.
Two minor injuries to fire department personnel were reported.
The four children were students within Mason City Community Schools.
“Mason City Community Schools has an overwhelming sense of sadness today. The four students that lost their lives were beloved and valued by their school community,” Mason City Community Schools superintendent Pat Hamilton said.
School officials say the news is a shock to the entire school system.
A GoFundMe has been started for the family.
Copyright 2022 KTTC via Gray Media Group, Inc. All rights reserved.