Man pleads guilty to arson in Kalamazoo Planned Parenthood fire
The man had posted a video to his YouTube channel referring to abortion as ‘genocide,’
LANSING, Mich. (WILX) - A 25-year-old man from Paw Paw pled guilty to one count of arson in connection with a July fire.
The fire happened July 31 at a Planned Parenthood on Crosstown Parkway in Kalamazoo. Police said surveillance video from the scene captured a man breach the fence surrounding the building, light the bushes outside the building on fire and throw a burning fireplace starter log onto the roof of the building.
- Police seek arson suspect in Kalamazoo Planned Parenthood fire
- Arson suspect arrested, charged in Kalamazoo Planned Parenthood fire
As part of his guilty plea, Joshua Brereton admitted that he went to a Walmart in Paw Paw, where he purchased torch fuel, a fire starter log, a utility lighter and a black baseball cap. He also admitted to posting a video to his YouTube channel where he referred to abortion as genocide.
Brereton faces a mandatory minimum sentence of five years in prison, with a maximum possible sentence of up to 20 years in prison, followed by three years of supervised released.
He also faces a fine of up to $250,000 and will be ordered to pay restitution.
He is expected to be sentenced Feb. 6, 2023.
- Attorney General, Michigan Humane partner to investigate large-scale animal abuse cases
- Jackson firefighters raise over $10K for families impacted by muscular dystrophy
- Michigan State University President Samuel Stanley resigns
- Oxford boy arrested after reportedly posting threats on social media
Subscribe to our News 10 newsletter and receive the latest local news and weather straight to your email every morning.
Copyright 2022 WILX. All rights reserved.