News 10 Viewers Donate Over $17,000 to Help Buy Over 900 Pairs of Boots for Local Kids, Boots on the Playground Initiative
LANSING, Mich. (WILX) - UPDATE: Donations poured in during the News 10 Make an Impact Phone Bank on Thursday, November 17th. Volunteers from Tommy’s Express Car Wash, Sylvan Learning Center, Modern Woodman, J&B Boots, Footprints of Michigan and WILX helped answer phones during all newscasts that day, taking viewer donations that surpassed the $15,000 goal that was set. With over $17,000 that was raised, Footprints of Michigan will be able to purchase over 900 pairs on new boots for local children who do not have proper footwear to wear in the snow. During the entire week leading up to the phone bank generous viewers donated hundreds of new and gently used boots at WILX and the sponsor locations.
For the second year in a row, the News 10 Make an Impact initiative partnered with Footprints of Michigan. This is the perfect time for this campaign as the temperatures start dropping. Footprints of Michigan has already started purchasing boots and delivering to local schools. The mission of Boots on the Playground is to “help students who need winter boots have warm happy feet while attending school.” Footprints of Michigan is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization providing new and gently used footwear year-round to those in need, especially veterans, children, and those who are homeless. Donations can be dropped off at 3300 West Main Street, Lansing MI, or www.footprintsofmichigan.org.
November 17, 2020
Join News 10, Sylvan Learning Center, Tommy’s Express Car Wash, Modern Woodman and J&B Boots in support of Footprints of Michigan. We are working together to Make an Impact by collecting new or gently used kids’ boots or donations to purchase boots for their Boots on the Playground initiative. The Boots on the Playground program was started after a principal at a local elementary school had reached out to Footprints of Michigan because some of his students were in need of winter boots. Since then it’s been a yearly undertaking to collect and provide boots to local children in need. Their mission is to empower those who are in need by providing warmth and dignity with footwear.
As winter is approaching, the need for boots is absolutely critical. The boots and funds collected are donated to Mid-Michigan school children in need of boots with the goal to raise $20,000 to buy 1,000 pairs of kids’ boots.
It’s Easy! Here’s how it works & how you can help!
- Between Monday, November 14th and Friday, November 18th, you can drop off boots during business hours at:
- The WILX Studios (500 American Road, Lansing)
- Sylvan Learning Centers (2500 Kerry Street, Ste 100, Lansing OR 3343 Spring Arbor Road, #100, Jackson)
- Tommy’s Express Car Wash (3715 West Saginaw Street, Lansing)
- Modern Woodman (6114 Worthmore Avenue, Lansing)
- J&B Boots (1053 West Grand River, Williamston)
- OR on Thursday Nov 17th, you can call the News 10 Live Phone Bank at 517-346-8822 during newscasts to make a donation for the purchase of new boots.
- OR you can also easily donate directly to the cause, by clicking HERE, or place an order for boots through Amazon and have them shipped directly to the WILX Studios at 500 American Road, Lansing, MI 48911.
Watch News 10 to see the amazing work that Footprints of Michigan does for the community. And thank YOU for Making an Impact by giving kids warm, happy feet this winter season and helping Mid-Michigan children in need!
Subscribe to our News 10 newsletter and receive the latest local news and weather straight to your email every morning.
Copyright 2022 WILX. All rights reserved.