Community helps families impacted by Lansing fire
LANSING, Mich. (WILX) - Oakland Ave. and North Capitol Ave. in Lansing was closed to traffic because of a reported fire in the area.
The house that was on fire is at the 900 block of Capitol with burn marks. It is a building with multiple units. There is fire damage in the upper level of the house.
People in Lansing are now coming together on Wednesday night to help three families whose homes caught fire.
They lived in a big house separated into three units.
The flame from one candle sparking a fire that forced three families out of this downtown Lansing home.
People who live here say they’re thankful no one was hurt and grateful for the people who stepped in to help.
Julia Thomas was displaced from home due to the fire.
“I wanna give them thanks because they really didn’t have to do that. They did not have to do that at all,” she said.
Julia Thomas and her family had nowhere to go.
“They put us in the Radisson for the next couple of nights they wanted to give us a break... a little solace,” said Thomas.
Police say a total of 12 people lived in three separate units in the home.
Fire crews aren’t saying what started the fire; only that it broke out on the third floor.
A man who lived there said a candle tipped over.
The Red Cross is helping the families.
But neighbors and members of a nearby church were also quick to step up.
“One of our pastors invited anybody to come in and stay warm. We were able to a few blankets and clothes for them. We went and got pizza,” said local church administrator Sarah Lindloff.
“My tenant just rented... just paid for two hotels for them so I’m pretty lucky to have people like that renting from me,” said neighbor James Holmes.
“I want everyone to know that I really appreciate them and I really really appreciate my community, because they didn’t have to do anything, but they did,” said Holmes.
Copyright 2021 WILX. All rights reserved.