Firefighters battle blaze at Cleanlites Recycling in Mason
This is the second fire at the location in less than three months
LANSING, Mich. (WILX) - A large fire broke out Tuesday at Cleanlites Recycling in Mason. The fire was discovered by two employees a little before 7 a.m. and continues to burn; still requiring the use of hoses.
Ingham County authorities asked everyone to avoid the area as crews worked to contain and put out the blaze; the smoke could be seen for miles around.
According to one firefighter, the fire began in the loading dock and was exacerbated when it reached a propane tank that then exploded.
Firefighters from Mason, Leslie Township, Delhi Township, Meridian Township, Ingham Township and Eaton Rapids are assisting. Mason Fire Department Chief Kerry Minshall says that the warehouse is destroyed and will have to be demolished and rebuilt, but the office only suffered smoke damage.
“This is a recycling facility, and they recycle a lot of things like batteries and components and electronics--because the nature of the business there is a lot of pallets and stacks and racks full of things that they recycle,” said Chief Kerry Minshall.
“We have people that do a walk-through.... it’s an infrared camera... it shows hot spots between the naked eye,” he said.
A fire previously broke out at Cleanlites in September. Fire officials said batteries are believed to have started that fire. The chief tells us the fire may have created some toxic fumes because of the types of recyclables in the building-including batteries.
There have been no fatalities or injuries caused by the fire.
The Mason Recycling Center serves all of Michigan by recycling electronics and focus materials in electronics, such as batteries, aerosol, and more.
It is located at 665 Hull Road in Mason.
We’ll keep you updated on the investigation.
Copyright 2020 WILX. All rights reserved.