Two boys and 53-year old woman die in Lansing house fire
The house fire happened at 1450 Elizabeth St.
LANSING, Mich. (WILX) - The Lansing Fire Department (LFD) said three people have died in a late-night house fire on Sept. 3.
The victims are a four-year-old male, an eight-year-old male, and a 53-year-old woman. The names of the victims have not yet been released.
LFD crews were dispatched to a single-story house at 1450 Elizabeth Street with heavy fire coming from the front and side windows at 11:45 p.m. LFD says crews made an aggressive entry to the house but found all three victims dead during search operations.
News 10 spoke with Maria Perez who is the daughter of the woman and aunt to the two boys. She said her mother tried saving the kids by putting them in the bathtub.
Perez said, “They told me that she got them into the bathtub and turned the water on and held them. She was trying to get the fire away from them. She was trying to save them because they couldn’t get out the door.”
Maurico Barrera the Lansing Fire Marshall said there are severe damages to the single-story home.
He said, “Our crews arrived and we had a heavy fire coming from the front side of the house along with the side window.”
Still in shock of their tragic deaths, Perez said her mother cared for the two boys very much.
“She made sure her grand kids were taken care of. She always had them. It’s really so sad and so surreal all of this is happening. I’m still trying to wrap my head around it.”
LFD said the fire is under investigation and autopsies of the three victims will be done Friday by the Ingham County Medical Examiner’s office.
Copyright 2020 WILX. All rights reserved.