Fire Forces Windsor Township Family From Home

By: Anthony Sabella Email
By: Anthony Sabella Email

A boarded up home and bandaged hands...not how Jessica Stowell pictured her Thanksgiving.

It started around 6 a.m., when Stowell and her husband Tom awoke to their fire alarm going off and smoke coming from their kids' bedroom.

"There were flames coming everywhere and out of the closet and I got trapped in there a little bit," said Stowell.

Luckily, Stowell had let her daughter sleep with her, that night, and after realizing none of the kids had been sleeping in the room, she and Tom managed to escape, but with several burns. A total of six others, both family and friends, got out unharmed. The only casualty was the family dog.

Stowell calls it a miracle.

"What made me pick up my daughter who was sleeping perfectly fine in that bed? Why did I take her to bed with me?

And that's not the only reason why Stowell is counting her blessings. While the bedroom was destroyed, along with her kids' clothes and toys, the rest of the house is salvageable because of her husband's decision to close the bedroom door.

Still, the house is covered in smoke and their kids are without essentials. Neighbors Scott and Barbie Pace are getting the community together to help through Facebook.

"They asked for the sizes of the kids and any needs that they needed," said Barbie Pace.

Another reason why Stowell is still giving thanks.

"I'm just thankful that people out there are willing to help others and it's amazing," she said.

Tom Stowell was sent to University of Michigan Hospital with burns to his face, neck and hands, but he is expected to be okay. Firefighters told Jessica Stowell the fire was likely electrical and likely started inside the closet wall.

In the meantime, the Stowell's will be staying with Jessica's mother.

WILX 500 American Road Lansing, MI 48911 517-393-0110
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 233777441 -
Gray Television, Inc.