For Wieber, Grandparents Are Biggest Fans

By: Lauren Evans Email
By: Lauren Evans Email

Who’s got the most Wieber Fever? That would be Grandma and Grandpa. Charles and Emiline Reifsnyder made the trip from Lansing to San Jose to watch their granddaughter compete.

“Words can’t describe how you feel,” Emiline Reifsnyder, Wieber’s grandmother, said. “I can’t believe this is happening. I mean, who ever would think, at our age, we’d be out here in California watching Jordyn compete? It’s just unbelievable.”

“I keep pinching myself,” said Charles Reifsnyder, Wieber’s grandfather. “I keep popping the buttons off my shirts. I tell her she’s got to give this up one of these days and sew the buttons back.”

Not much chance of that. Wieber is in first place after the first day of U.S. Olympic Trials competition, and one step closer to the London Olympics.

“I don’t know if I can handle it, to tell you the truth,” Wieber’s grandfather said. “I’ve got so many friends that are following everything she does and talking about it and talking with me about it, and it’s just the most exciting time in my life.”

Mrs. Reifsnyder’s favorite part of watching Wieber compete?

“I love the floor routine,” she said. “I do. I love that. I think she’s so classy.”

Mr. Reifsnyder, who was chief of police in Lansing and worked for the department for 38 years, calls his granddaughter “a machine.” He says he’s certainly not used to how famous Wieber is.

“It still surprises me every time I see it,” he said. “I watch television, all of a sudden she pops up. That surprises me. I go here and see her hanging on the wall of the building. It’s all—it’s unbelievable.”

Sunday is the final day of women's competition. We’ll have much more on Jordyn Wieber Sunday on News 10.

• by rebecca farr Location: grand ledge mi on Jul 21, 2012 at 07:16 PM
    We are so proud to have her there for us all, we know she will bring home the gold. God Bless
  • by Just me on Jul 13, 2012 at 05:52 PM
    Just be happy for them all. I'm sure you'd be soooooo proud if it was your granddaughter. It's good to hear a light hearted news story these days.
      by rebecca farr on Jul 21, 2012 at 07:32 PM in reply to Just me
      I for find it sad our young people show less and less respect for the USA and its abilities to stand proud, The ignorance of our young show, more every day. This is sad how Ryan, Jason an so on show no respect for family love and honor.
  • by lisa Location: lansing on Jul 3, 2012 at 02:19 AM
    Ryan is right, anything with "local ties" to a 100 mile radius of lansing is a rebeaten horse. Not all people watch the olympics. Nobody cares.
      by Jason on Jul 4, 2012 at 08:41 AM in reply to lisa
      I'm with Ryan and Lisa. Nicely said.
  • by Ryan Location: Lansing on Jul 1, 2012 at 02:59 PM
    Thanks for the Wieber play by play Wilx. Can you interview her second cousin twice removed next? Then let us know how many glasses of water she has been drinking while in San Jose. I'm also curious if she believes in astrology. The moon in Jupiter doesn't fare too well for her in the next 38 hours.
      by Anonymous on Jul 2, 2012 at 10:58 AM in reply to Ryan
      Ryan… take a deep breath, calm yourself, and step away from the computer. You’ll be ok, Ryan. You can stop crying now.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 160999615 - wilx.com/a?a=160999615