Heisman Candidate Won't Face Sexual Assault Charges

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

A prosecutor says Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston will not be charged in a sexual assault case.

State Attorney Willie Meggs made the announcement Thursday. The 19-year-old Heisman Trophy candidate was accused of raping a female student in December last year, but Meggs says there is not enough evidence for anyone to be charged in the case.

The Tallahassee Police Department turned the case over to Meggs on Nov. 12 after several media inquiries. Meggs interviewed the accuser Nov. 21.

The prosecutor says Winston's DNA matched a sample found in the woman's underwear. But Winston's lawyer, Tim Jansen, has said that was expected and doesn't prove guilt.

The top-ranked and undefeated Seminoles are playing Duke on Saturday in the Atlantic Coast Conference championship game. A win would likely put them in the BCS championship game.


WILX.com is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules:

Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards.

See full commenting rules...
powered by Disqus
WILX 500 American Road Lansing, MI 48911 517-393-0110
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 234629581 - wilx.com/a?a=234629581
Gray Television, Inc.