Libya: Gadhafi's Son's Trial in September in Libya

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press
Ahmed al-Jehani, Libya

FILE - In this Tuesday, Aug. 23, 2011 file photo, Moammar Gadhafi's son, Seif al-Islam, top left, gestures to troops loyal to his father in Tripoli, Libya. The chief prosecutor of the International Criminal Court says he is in indirect contact with Seif al-Islam Gadhafi about the possibility of surrendering for trial. The 39-year-old son of Moammar Gadhafi was indicted in June for inciting crowds to murder during the early stages of the Libyan revolution. (AP Photo/Imed Lamloum, Pool, File)

TRIPOLI, Libya (AP) -- A Libyan judicial official says Libya will put deposed dictator Moammar Gadhafi's son on trial, defying the International Criminal Court.
Ahmed al-Jehani, Libya's representative to the Hague court, said the trial of Seif al-Islam Gadhafi will begin next month. One possible venue is Zintan, a town in the western mountains, where he is being held.
Since Self al-Islam Gadhafi was captured last year, Libya and the ICC have been arguing over who would try him. He was considered his father's political heir. The ICC issued an arrest warrant and demanded to try him on war crimes.
A Zintan militia has been holding Gadhafi. Local spokesman Khaled al-Zintani said Monday a government delegation inspected the town before a decision is made on whether to try him there.


WILX.com is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules:

Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards.

See full commenting rules...
powered by Disqus
WILX 500 American Road Lansing, MI 48911 517-393-0110
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 166831126 - wilx.com/a?a=166831126
Gray Television, Inc.