Even though Palestinian officials said they had called off a planned round of peace talks Monday, a U.S. official in Washington is suggesting that's not the case. The official says, "No meetings have been canceled."
The Palestinians had said they canceled Monday's talks after Israeli soldiers killed three protesters during clashes that followed an arrest raid in the West Bank.
Israeli officials aren't commenting.
The violence overnight was the deadliest incident in the area in years. It dealt a new blow to the peace efforts led by the United States. Talks resumed late last month after a nearly five-year break.
The clashes broke out when Israeli forces entered a refugee camp, just outside of Jerusalem, on an overnight arrest raid. A spokesman for the paramilitary border police says hundreds of Palestinians poured into the streets, hurling firebombs, concrete blocks and rocks at officers. The Israeli military says it sent soldiers to the scene to provide backup, and that they opened fire after they felt their lives were in "imminent danger."