Fox Drops Glenn Beck's Talk Show

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press
Fox and Beck said the show will end later this year

The Associated Press
In this May 4, 2010 file photo, Fox News Channel's Glenn Beck attends the TIME 100 gala celebrating the 100 most influential people, at the Time Warner Center in New York.

Fox News Channel on Wednesday said it was dropping Glenn Beck's afternoon talk show, which has sunk in the ratings and suffered financially due to an advertiser boycott.
Fox and Beck said the show will end later this year.
Fox News and Beck's company, Mercury Radio Arts, said they will work together to create other projects for Fox television and digital.
Beck was a quick burn on Fox News Channel. Almost immediately after joining the network in January 2009, he doubled the ratings at his afternoon time slot. Fans found his conservative populism entertaining, while Comedy Central's Stephen Colbert described Beck's "crank up the crazy and rip off the knob" moments.
He was popular with Tea Party activists and drew thousands of people to the National Mall in Washington last August for a "restoring honor" rally.
Yet some of his statements were getting him in trouble, and critics appealed to advertisers to boycott his show last summer after Beck said President Barack Obama had "a deep-seated hatred for white people."
More than 400 Fox advertisers told the company they did not want their commercials on Beck's show.
Viewers also began turning away. Beck's 5 p.m. ET show averaged 2.7 million viewers during the first three months of 2010, and was at just under 2 million for the same period this year, the Nielsen Co. said. His decline was sharper among younger viewers sought by advertisers.
Increasingly, the show began to be dominated by Beck standing in front of a chalk board giving his theories about the world's troubles.
However, Beck has built a powerful brand for himself with a radio show and digital properties. A key Fox executive, Joel Cheatwood, is joining Mercury Radio Arts later this month.
"I truly believe that America owes a lot to Roger Ailes and Fox News," Beck said in a statement. "I cannot repay Roger for the lessons I've learned and will continue to learn from him and I look forward to starting this new phase of our partnership."
One of Beck's most prominent critics -- David Brock, founder of the liberal watchdog Media Matters for America -- said that "the only surprise is that it took Fox News months to reach this decision."

• by doc Location: Lansing on Apr 8, 2011 at 07:13 PM
    Beck is(was) performing a lesser degree (than the typical "neocons") of "right cover" while copying Alex Jones and other Ron Paul-like "paleocons." The difference (HUGE) is that he nevertheless "allowed" for the many senseless wars and left out important things like money creation based on debt. Alex allows for the well vetted insights of the John Perkins and others who make today's madness add up (like WHY we attack 'particular countries' destroying innocents and bankrupting the many here of good will!) Let's create new and NON-debt-based money systems (as so warned by our wise founders!)
  • by anonymous on Apr 8, 2011 at 04:58 AM
    I can't believe Beck has that many loyal followers. If you actually check his facts he is so wrong on so many subjects and he is so inflamatory. Now Donald Trump is getting on the band wagon and making equally as stupid comments as Beck. See ya and good riddance.
  • by Christine Location: Delray Beach Florida on Apr 8, 2011 at 02:09 AM
    If it is correct that Fox is dropping Glenn Beck, I for one will not be watching Fox News anymore. For years I have watched Glenn and the other News Show hosts and remarked how great it is to have folks like Glenn, Bill, Shawn and the rest that stand up and tell the truth about what is going on in this Once Wonderful Country of ours. I am deeply sadden by this news! Fox needs to rethink this one!
  • by me on Apr 7, 2011 at 10:46 PM
    This "news" outlet is not...news. It is barely veiled opinion--pro-corporation, anti-choice etc. You know the formula. And it doesn't dare accept other points of view, which is why my comments haven't been posted earlier, and why this one won't be posted either. I can only hope that the powers that be discover that a healthy debate is not something to be feared, and drowned out, but something that's in fact desperately needed today.
  • by me Location: tx on Apr 7, 2011 at 08:40 PM
    Whoever thinks they are getting some version of unvarnished truth from Glenn Beck is an idiot. You are partisans and bigots and the time you're committing what you claim to be a search for "truth", is really a search for rationalizations--rationalizations that confirm your fears and suspicions about people who are not like you. In case you missed it: you are all idiots. And you will be consigned to anonymity, because the world is passing you by...and you know it.
  • by Kim Location: Gorham, NH on Apr 7, 2011 at 05:43 PM
    What a shame! Very few people can put what is going on in this world into words everyone can understand! He uses what other should "Common Sense". I'm sure there are bigger & better things out there for you Glenn! Wouldn't it be Great to see you in politics. We need more Common Sense & people we can trust in the political world! Best of Luck Glenn, looking forward to your New Venture! We'll always follow you!
  • by Larry Location: California on Apr 7, 2011 at 05:17 PM
    Why don't we stick to the facts. Beck's ratings didn't drop 35% and he wasn't fired. According to Nielson Ratings, his ratings a up from 6 months ago in every category: October 6, 2010 2,164 458 1,035 April 6, 2011 2,230 634 1,042 Look it up before you talk. Unless, you are into lying and deceit.
  • by Keith Location: Texas on Apr 7, 2011 at 09:51 AM
    How many people in the information business to day could rallie thoustands of people to stand up for America? Who is actually the best history teacher you ever had. It's Glenn Beck and I cannot believe that Fox would allow this THINKER to get away. I need him on everyday. I feel very let down and I have lost all direction and faith in my Government. I am sick to death of the fighting. I have written Gov. Rick Perry and told him of my wish to secede from the USA. We are all in trouble and no one else will tell you the truth. Don't let Beck go. This is insane to let this man go. Thanks Keith Logan
  • by Tim on Apr 7, 2011 at 09:48 AM
    Come on people, Fox did not drop Beck- he is walking away. Get the headline right... and I think we will all know why in the very near future!!! The printing presses are probably already producing the Beck 2012 bumper stickers.
      by Judge Judy on Apr 7, 2011 at 04:43 PM in reply to Tim
      His ratings has dropped 35 percent in this last year...See ya Beck
  • by SCOTTY B Location: CRESCENT CITY FLORIDA on Apr 7, 2011 at 09:48 AM
    Mr Beck was is very confrontational and direct with his commentary and that's what made the show popular with individuals like myself and a danger to those who have attack and at the end convinced fox to drop him. God Bless America - we need him more now than Ever!!!
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 119343619 - wilx.com/a?a=119343619