CAIRO (AP) -- An Egyptian security official says a local militant suspected of involvement in the attack on the U.S. consulate in Libya has been killed in clashes in Cairo.
The official says the man, known only by his first name, Hazem, recently returned from Libya.
The official, who spoke Wednesday on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to brief reporters, said an investigation into the man's possible involvement in the attack is under way.
This is the first time an Egyptian has been declared as a suspect in the attack on the Benghazi consulate last month, when the U.S. ambassador and three other Americans were killed.
The official said the suspect attacked approaching Egyptian forces and was killed. He kept weapons in his hideout, the official said.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.