What's Going Around

In Okemos, Dr. James Brouillette at Ingham Community Medical Center, a partner of Ingham Regional, is treating poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac.

Symptoms include a blistery, oozing red rash that often appears in lines or streaks.

Serious symptoms are swelling of the face, mouth, or neck and widespread large blisters that ooze large amounts of fluid.

Most poison ivy rashes can be treated successfully at home.

Wash the area with soap and water immediately after contact.

You should also use a wet compress, take a cool bath, and use an over the counter hydro-cortisone cream.

If the rash is on your face or over a significant part of your body, you should probably see a doctor.

Contrary to popular belief, itching won't spread the poison ivy rash. It can, however, result in scarring or a secondary bacterial infection, especially if your hands are not clean.

Without treatment, the rash usually lasts about 10 days to three weeks.


WILX.com is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules:

Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards.

powered by Disqus
WILX 500 American Road Lansing, MI 48911 517-393-0110
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 127225273 - wilx.com/a?a=127225273