Lansing Schools Make Extra Push For Count Day

By: Tiffany Teasley Email
By: Tiffany Teasley Email

The Lansing School District is hitting the streets, and working the phones.

"We're out here just simply trying to find kids that may have missed school," said Lansing Schools CFO, Venkat Saripalli.

"We're trying to check in with the legal parent or guardian just to say your child needs to be in school," said Isabella Rowan, Registrar at Everett High School.

They're not waiting for students to come to them they're going to students, all in effort to get students in class when it counts.

"Whether it's in the malls, or in parks, whether it's in recreation centers, we plant to visit," said Lansing Schools Superintendent, T.C. Wallace.

This week the district is launching "Your Child Matters," ahead of count day, they've hired 8 extra personnel for this week and next week -- one for every middle school and high school dedicated to drawing students into school.

"We have a list of no shows, which are students that have either not attended school since it began or are just skipping an hour here and there," Rowan said.

It's all about securing state funding.

"If they always skip 4th period after lunch, then they lose money that particular day," Rowan said.

"There's approximately an $8,000 amount that is generated for each student in attendance," Wallace said.

But it's not just about getting the kids to class on count day, once they're there, then the district has to make sure they stay put.

"It's not just a short-term effort, they matter all year long," Wallace said.

75 percent of per pupil funding will be determined by attendance numbers on count day, the remaining 25 percent is determined at a second count day in February.

Should Schools Give Students Incentives To Show Up For Count Day? is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules:

Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. Comments may take up to 24 hours or longer to appear on the site.

See full commenting rules...
powered by Disqus
WILX 500 American Road Lansing, MI 48911 517-393-0110
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 62423882 -
Gray Television, Inc.