Small Fire Closes School

DEWITT - DeWitt Junior High School is sending its students home for the day, due to a small contained fire this morning. The fire was caused by a blown transformer on the north side of the building. The fire was quickly extinguished, and all students are safe.

Because of the fumes and lack of electricity, the school officials decided to send students home. Any students that walk to school will remain at the school's south side cafeteria until their parents are contacted and give permission to walk home.

Again, the fire is out, but the fire department is checking the school to make sure all is well.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Taylor Location: Dewitt on Feb 24, 2009 at 03:53 PM
    i was scared at first because we dont hve fire drills in the winter but it was cool that we got to come home early
  • by Taylor on Feb 24, 2009 at 03:36 PM
    i was in my class room when the fire alrm went off but i sit was very clod in just a t-shirt
  • by Anonymous Location: Dewitt on Feb 24, 2009 at 01:51 PM
    i was in the library when it happened and was getting my paper graded. kinda cool that the fire alarm went off before my teacher graded it (: but im glad it was only a small fire. and nobody got hurt.
  • by Eric Location: Dewitt on Feb 24, 2009 at 01:47 PM
    Yah at first i thought it was a drill to but they never do them in the winter i still figured it was a drill till they told us over the pe to bad the whole school didnt burn down we wouldnt have school for weeks lol jkj
  • by carter Location: dewitt on Feb 24, 2009 at 11:45 AM
    I hope school is closed to morrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • by steve Location: dewitt on Feb 24, 2009 at 11:43 AM
    i was there can i be interviewed please!!!!!!!
  • by Student Location: DeWitt on Feb 24, 2009 at 10:19 AM
    I wonder if you say that on your Broadcast because that might give some ensight on the problem with understanding what was a student feeling at the time.
  • by Student Location: DeWitt on Feb 24, 2009 at 10:17 AM
    I was in my classroom when a strange smoke came upon me. That was when the fire alarm went off. I was thinking at the time that it was a normal drill of course. That was when i realized that was in fact a real fire when I had been waiting in the cold for 15 mins with a T-shirt on! I feel bad for our school to pay for damages, but at least no one was hurt because it would have been worse.
  • by katie Location: DeWitt on Feb 24, 2009 at 10:08 AM
    omg i go 2 dewitt and i was there during the fire!! it was freaking me out!!
WILX 500 American Road Lansing, MI 48911 517-393-0110
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 40216927 - wilx.com/a?a=40216927
Gray Television, Inc.