Baby Monitors Recalled After Strangulation Deaths

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

Nearly 2 million Summer Infant video baby monitors were recalled Friday after being linked to the strangulation deaths of two infants.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission says the electrical cords on the monitors can be dangerous for babies if placed too close to their cribs.
According to the commission, a 10-month-old girl from Washington, D.C., died in March when she strangled on the cord of a Summer Infant monitor camera that had been placed on the top of the crib rail. In November, a 6-month-old boy from Conway, S.C., strangled in the electrical cord of a baby monitor placed on the changing table attached to his crib.
CPSC and Summer Infant are also aware of a 20-month-old boy from Pittsburgh who nearly strangled on a camera cord that was mounted to the wall in reach of the child.
Commission Chairman Inez Tenenbaum says cords and kids can be a deadly combination.
"I urge all parents and caregivers to put at least 3 feet between any video or audio baby monitor cords and a child in a crib," she said. "This simple step can save your child's life."
In all, about 1.7 million monitors -- more than 40 different models of handheld, digital and color monitors -- are being recalled by Summer Infant, based in Woonsocket, R.I.
The company will provide new on-product warning labels and instructions about monitor placement.
The monitors were sold at major retailers nationwide between 2003 and 2011.
The commission first warned about the potential danger of monitor cords last October. Since 2004, seven children have strangled on baby monitor cords placed too close to a crib.
In addition to the recall linked to strangulations, Summer Infant also is recalling the rechargeable batteries in another 58,000 video monitors exclusively sold at Babies R Us in 2009 and 2010. The commission says the batteries sold with certain Slim and Secure Video Monitors can overheat, rupture and possibly burn people.
The company has received five reports of ruptured batteries, including three cases of property damage.
For more information on model numbers of recalled monitors, consumers can contact Summer Infant at 800-426-8627.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Jason Location: Jackson on Feb 14, 2011 at 03:01 AM
    These days everything has to be made fool-proof due to morons out there.
  • by Anonymous on Feb 12, 2011 at 10:10 AM
    after all the talk regarding mini blinds and the dangers of the cords. SOME parents would leave this cord within a babies reach? I believe the parents should be RE-called! This is just being careless, and there is no reason that these should be recalled. Where was the Warning label, like dont use the blow dryer in the shower? Dont leave the Cord where your baby can reach it/? DUH! (here's your Sign)
  • by Casey on Feb 11, 2011 at 03:11 PM
    So I guess we should recall EVERYTHING with a cord. Watch your children! Don't put their beds near windows with shade strings or anything like that, that they can pull into their cribs. My daughter loves playing with cords, so we have to make sure every single one is hidden behind things or out of reach.
  • by Wayne Location: Lansing on Feb 11, 2011 at 11:36 AM
    How about a parent recall? I have 2 small girls, used monitors in both of their rooms...in places well beyond their reach...fools!
  • by Jay Location: Lansing on Feb 11, 2011 at 11:34 AM
    How stupid are these parents leaving the cords sooo close to the cribs? I mean come on???? Wake up.
WILX 500 American Road Lansing, MI 48911 517-393-0110
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 115941009 - wilx.com/a?a=115941009
Gray Television, Inc.