McDonald's is recalling 12 million drinking glasses it is selling to promote the new "Shrek" movie because painted designs on the cheap collectibles contain the toxic metal cadmium.
The burger giant said early Friday that it wants customers to stop using the 16-ounce glasses, which have been sold for about $2 each and were available in four designs depicting the main characters from the hit animated franchise.
Cadmium is a known carcinogen that research shows also can cause bone softening and severe kidney problems.
In the case of the Shrek glasses, the concern would be long-term exposure to low levels of cadmium, which could leach from the paint onto a child's hand, then enter the body if the child puts that unwashed hand to his or her mouth.
McDonald’s is asking consumers to immediately stop using the glass out of an abundance of caution. Visit www.mcdonalds.com for additional instructions on how to obtain a full refund.