President Clinton Campaigns for Bernero

By: Jamie Edmonds Email
By: Jamie Edmonds Email

"Thanks to President Clinton for coming to Detroit and saying hello and giving us a boost," Bernero said at a rally Sunday.

That is exactly what gubernatorial candidate Virg Bernero was hoping to gain Sunday from a campaign stop by the 42th President.

"Don't let this man lose because if he loses, you all lose," President Clinton said.

Sunday President Bill Clinton rallied the crowd of about 700 at a Detroit high school by touting Bernero's political experience, and praising his plan for Michigan.

"He cut government by 20 percent, he cut his own pay and health care and set an example," Clinton said. "That's what he did."

Senators, judges, and other local elected officials also spoke in support of the entire democratic ticket, but the main event was definitely Bernero and his big name supporter.

"Are you ready to win?" Bernero said. "Are you ready to fight? Are you ready to vote?"

All the speakers including the President had the same message, that this election is not over, but democrats must go out to the polls.

"I'm going to tell my friends, and tell their grandparents to go out and vote," 14-year-old Maron Smith said.

"I think everyone is leaving here looking like they are going to do [vote on November 2nd,] Steve Holmes said.

Bernero is trailing republican Rick Snyder by a large margin with just nine days to go, Clinton's job Sunday was to rally the troops and hopefully get to some independent and undecided voters.

"Lets look at game films and statistics and if you do, [Bernero] will be the next governor," Clinton said.

In a little more than a week we'll know if the democrats 'Ace in the Hole' actually paid off.

Friday, the gubernatorial candidates released their campaign finance reports. Snyder has about $2 million in cash left to spend, while Bernero has just $167,000 to spend in the final push.

• by non anonymous on Oct 25, 2010 at 08:40 PM
    The govt doesn't want people who have blood flowing through their brains. They are trying to bring back a feudalistic system.
  • by Anonymous on Oct 25, 2010 at 10:57 AM
    Personally I do not feel that MI voters need any outside help from either party to make a decission about who will be our next gov. congressman or anything else. Not Palin, Clinton or anybody else. I would hope we are all intelligent enough to make up our own minds without any outside influence. Personally I think none of them are worth much, but it's the best we have to work with. But let MI voters decide for themselves. I repeat this is not a national election. I'm sorry that any of them needed a DC insider to come and hold their hands. I do not care which party. I think that is a practice that should be banned.
  • by Anonymous on Oct 25, 2010 at 07:25 AM
    Right now I wish we had someone who has a real plan.
  • by Tracy Location: Lansing on Oct 25, 2010 at 07:17 AM
    Cut government by 20%? that is how much in people who lost their jobs? Way to go Mayor, you fired people.
  • by Jennifer Location: Lansing on Oct 25, 2010 at 06:41 AM
    Where were these comments when John Boehner, or Michele Bachmann, or the Tea Party came to MI for Walberg and other Republicans. Really you can't pick and choose to be annoyed at the Dems (Snyder and Schauer) for bringing in outside politicians when the GOP is doing it to. If you don't like one party doing it, you shouldn't like either party doing it! So yet again we see the hypocrisy!
  • by Anonymous on Oct 25, 2010 at 04:55 AM
    I am so happy that Clinton is a resident of Michigan and knows all the canidates so well. This is not a national election, and Washington indsiders who do not know the people running have no business campaigning for them. Michigan voters are adults and can make up their own minds. I am an independent, and I will make up my own mind, without the help of Clinton or the attack ads.
  • by Phil Location: St Johns on Oct 25, 2010 at 03:46 AM
    Reports have the high school at just over 1/3 full. Not a very good turn out for Virg and Bill.
  • by Anonymous on Oct 24, 2010 at 06:22 PM
    Benero case looks hopeless. When they bring in the big guns into a close race for a democrat run state, it is not good.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 105644888 - wilx.com/a?a=105644888