One Man Dead from Rodent Disease at Yosemite

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK, Calif. (AP) -- Yosemite National Park officials say a man is dead and a woman is recovering after contracting a rare rodent-borne disease in a popular lodging area.
Park officials said Thursday that tests confirmed the man died from hantavirus in late July. Both victims had been staying in tent cabins in the Curry Village Campground, where the virus has been detected in deer mice.
Officials say the man is the first person to die from hantavirus contracted in Yosemite, though there were outbreaks in 2000 and 2010.
The virus takes one to six weeks to incubate. It's fatal for about 30 percent of people who contract it, most likely by inhaling the virus from mouse urine or droppings.
The park concessionaire has been working to disinfect cabins, and officials have been trapping and testing mice. is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules:

Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. Comments may take up to 24 hours or longer to appear on the site.

See full commenting rules...
powered by Disqus
WILX 500 American Road Lansing, MI 48911 517-393-0110
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 166484956 -
Gray Television, Inc.