YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK, Calif. (AP) -- Yosemite National Park officials say a man is dead and a woman is recovering after contracting a rare rodent-borne disease in a popular lodging area.
Park officials said Thursday that tests confirmed the man died from hantavirus in late July. Both victims had been staying in tent cabins in the Curry Village Campground, where the virus has been detected in deer mice.
Officials say the man is the first person to die from hantavirus contracted in Yosemite, though there were outbreaks in 2000 and 2010.
The virus takes one to six weeks to incubate. It's fatal for about 30 percent of people who contract it, most likely by inhaling the virus from mouse urine or droppings.
The park concessionaire has been working to disinfect cabins, and officials have been trapping and testing mice.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.