Obama Signs Bill Protecting Former Presidents

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Barack Obama has signed into law a bill granting lifetime Secret Service protection to former presidents and their wives.
The measure Obama signed Thursday applies to presidents elected after Jan. 1, 1997, specifically Obama and former President George W. Bush. It reverses a 1994 law that ended Secret Service protection 10 years after a president leaves office. Under that law, the Homeland Security secretary could extend such protection on a temporary basis.
A sponsor of the bill, Republican Rep. Trey Gowdy of South Carolina, says increased terrorist threats and the greater mobility and youth of former presidents made the change necessary.
The new law also authorizes Secret Service protection for the children of former presidents until they turn 16.
The bill is H.R. 6620.

• by Gun Owner Location: Lansing on Jan 19, 2013 at 06:42 AM
    OMG you people are idiots.
  • by REN Location: Lansing on Jan 17, 2013 at 06:50 AM
    What is obama afraid of. Does he think a law abiding citizen with a registered firearm is going to make an attempt on his life? Who would want to shoot the king? Why weren't all living presidents included in this bill? They have as much to lose as obama.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 15, 2013 at 02:42 PM
    Hey Barry...Since you're going to ban my AR-15, may I have a secret service agent protect me and my family 24/7/365 for the rest of my life too?
  • by Courtney Location: Location on Jan 14, 2013 at 07:59 AM
    Hope, change, and forward. We "hope" things will get better and yet all we are left with is the "change" in our pockets because you have taken the rest of it to move us "forward" into a 3rd world country. You will not be happy until all of us are required to live off the government because it no longer pays to have a job. I am tired of supporting the deadbeats who refuse to work at all to support themselves and giving 1/2 my check to live on and 1/2 my check to support the other 1/2 that won't work. I am not talking about retirees or those who absolutely physically cannot work, I am talking about those who chose not to work, or those who get paid under the table and collect benefits, or those who would rather have their hands out than become more self-supporting.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 14, 2013 at 06:51 AM
    And yet, he wants to un-arm law biding Americans, and he will have 24/7 armed security for the rest of his life? Can you say hypocrite" ? Law biding citizens are not the ones committing mass shootings and crime.. SUppose he start with being tough on the CRIMINALS, and stop giving automatic weapons to drug cartel. He makes plenty of money and can afford his own security detail, hes taken enough money from us already
  • by Anonymous on Jan 13, 2013 at 03:18 PM
    Good Grief!! It's "people" NOT "pepol"!!! How many times I've seen this error is ridiculous...ever heard of spell-check!
  • by Taar Location: Lansing on Jan 13, 2013 at 10:05 AM
    Funny...spend more to reduce the deficit...who woulda thought that would happen...
  • by Name Location: Location on Jan 12, 2013 at 04:33 AM
    @Anonymous, lets slow it down and try it again. 51% of the "Uninformed" elected Barry partly becuase of Romney's wealth and it didn't make a difference. BO is still not helping business create jobs, improving the economy, a little hope and change. I hope Barry doen't make it through a second term,,,,,Impeachment of course!?!?!?
  • by Anonymous on Jan 12, 2013 at 04:25 AM
    Makes you wonder how fearful he is with some of the lunatics on both sides of the aisle?
  • by Anonymous Location: Location on Jan 11, 2013 at 10:03 AM
    @Name, you got your President, let it go. With the way government keeps taking our money, can you blame him? Mr. President,10 years is enough. I see you care about your children only protecting them until they are 16. What about the wives? Don't they matter? You remind me of Kwami from Detroit.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 186349041 - wilx.com/a?a=186349041