New Evidence Released in Trayvon Martin Shooting

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

At least one police investigator wanted George Zimmerman to be charged with manslaughter for fatally shooting Trayvon Martin.
In a report released Thursday along with other evidence, the Sanford, Fla., detective told prosecutors that the fight between Zimmerman and Martin could have been avoided if Zimmerman had remained in his vehicle and awaited the arrival of law enforcement. He said Zimmerman, after leaving his vehicle, could have identified himself to Martin as a concerned citizen and talked to him instead of confronting him.
He said there is no evidence Martin was involved in any criminal activity. The officer's name is not legible in the report.
Zimmerman was eventually charged with second-degree murder for the shooting of the 17-year-old Martin, who was unarmed. Zimmerman has pleaded not guilty, citing self-defense.

• by Courtney on May 20, 2012 at 06:48 PM
    None of us were there at the incident and we are only hearing what the media is sharing. There is probably so much more to this story than what is released. Let the courts and the lawyers present the FULL case and let the jury decide. Armchair courts don't do anything but incite reactions like these here. There is not enough evidence presented, nor assured as accurate, through the media to decide this case. Getting riled up about this case isn't going to answer the questions about whom did what to whom. The only reason this came out is because of race. Things like this happen all the time but we only hear about this because the child was black and the other party was hispanic. If it was any other race, it would be a non issue.
      by RT on May 22, 2012 at 07:13 AM in reply to Courtney
      Courtney, I've read your postings and you have my respect as someone who has a great deal of good 'ol common sense. I certainly see your point here and I couldn't agree more strongly regarding the issue of race being escalated here for political purposes: if it was a white guy killed by a black guy we wouldn't have heard about this. I've been around the block enough times and I'm old enough to have gained enough wisdom to hear the interviews and evidence to make a pretty good judgment of what happened with this case (I do think we know what happened in this case)--However, I'll be the first to admit when/if I'm wrong. When I see people suggest "putting someone down" as some did here I'm going to respond. When I believe someone is unjustly being villified, I'll respond. I believe it's a healthy thing for people to discuss these issues when things happen.
  • by janice Location: lansing on May 18, 2012 at 11:18 PM
    I agree.. had he stayed in his car as instructed, that young man would still be alive.. I feel the young man was just defending himself from Timmerman.
      by RT on May 20, 2012 at 06:45 PM in reply to janice
      First off Janice, it was the little punk Martin who attacked Mr. Zimmerman not the other way around. Second, it's ZIMMERMAN not Timmerman.
  • by Non_Anon Location: Michigan on May 18, 2012 at 01:51 PM
    So, the people that are defending Zimmerman are saying it is alright to ignore police instructions to stay in your vehicle when you call them about a stranger who is just walking down the sidewalk minding their own business, to get out of your vehicle, start a confrontation, and then when the stranger tries to protect their self, kill them and claim self-defense. Do I have that right?
      by RT on May 19, 2012 at 06:24 AM in reply to Non_Anon
      Nice try. I'm one of the most vocal defenders of Mr. Zimmerman, so I'm happy to respond as well as joust back-and-forth with anyone on this issue. Look at the evidence...Mr. Zimmerman wasn't the one who started the fight--he was watching this stranger while calling the police in a neighborhood that had multiple break-ins in the capacity of the neighborhood watch and was getting into his vehicle to leave. It was the little punk Martin who attacked Mr. Zimmerman. Mr. Zimmerman's actions WERE NOT illegal--the little punk's action were illegal. By the way, you DO have the right to defend yourself in any situation where you're being viciously attacked.
        by Anonymous on May 21, 2012 at 05:36 AM in reply to RT
        You are so right, the little punk could have flipped Zimmerman the bird and kept walking. Had he done that, he would still be walking and flipping the bird! If you conduct yourself in bad ways, bad things will happen!!!
  • by Non_Anon Location: Michigan on May 18, 2012 at 01:51 PM
  • by Wow on May 18, 2012 at 12:15 PM
    Im so sick of hearing about this! If it was a white, Hispanic or Asian person there would be nothing in the news. What about the injuries to mr Zimmerman? If you ask me it's the stand your ground law that's at fault not George Zimmerman!
  • by Kelly Location: Lansing on May 18, 2012 at 09:52 AM
    Trayvon Martin is the poster child for justifiable homicide. He was NOT the sweet, airbrushed little child portrayed throughout the media. He was a rabid gangsta animal, and rabid animals need to be put down.
      by RT on May 18, 2012 at 02:24 PM in reply to Kelly
      Well said! I've YET to see a RECENT picture in the media of the little punk who attacked Mr. Zimmerman, only the angelic pictures of the little punk when he was a boy. The media won't show the gansta pics he posted since that would sway public opinion. All I can say is nice shootin' Mr. Zimmerman!!
      by Anonymous on May 18, 2012 at 06:09 PM in reply to Kelly
      Well Kelly you need to be put down along with Zimmerman as both of you are animals.
        by RT on May 19, 2012 at 06:18 AM in reply to
        Just like the little punk Martin who got put down for attacking another human being like a rabid animal--I'm glad to see you agree with Kelly and I.
          by LeAnn on Jun 5, 2012 at 10:48 AM in reply to RT
          You really are nothing but a hateful, ignorant idiot, RT. It is so disgusting for you to post over and over and over and OVER again about what a "punk/thug/gangsta" this innocent teenager walking home from the store with a snack was. All I picture you as is this angry, curmudgeonly, wrinkly, nasty old man who screams at all the kids in your neighborhood if, heaven forbid, their ball rolls into your yard and threatening them with your big cane in one hand with the phone in the other hand calling 911 pointlessly. You are truly nothing but a despicable excuse for a human being, and I wish you'd get arthritis in your hands so bad that it would make you unable to type your vile hatred here. Please, God, please tell me you didn't procreate and breed further vitriolic, unnecessary hatred into this world.
  • by Non_Anon Location: Mic higan on May 18, 2012 at 09:47 AM
    Maybe the injuries that Zimmerman received were due to Martin trying to defend himself. No one, other than Zimmerman and Martin, will know for sure how Zimmerman approached Martin: either politely, or in a combative manner. It IS NOT self-defense on Zimmerman's part: he willfully and knowingly ignored police instructions and confronted Martin that resulted in this tragedy.
  • by Chris Location: Lansing on May 18, 2012 at 09:27 AM
    Trayvon has a right to walk down the street as does Zimmerman. Trayvon had no right to assault him. If Zimmerman felt his life was being threatened.....
  • by Anonymous on May 18, 2012 at 08:14 AM
    Free Zimmerman. If there were punks high and screwing around in your neighborhood in the middle of the night, would you just turn your back?
  • by mike Location: lansing on May 18, 2012 at 07:32 AM
    I agree with Tony.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 151982365 - wilx.com/a?a=151982365