In this undated photo released by the U.S. Navy, Navy Capt. Owen Honors is shown in an official portrait. The top officer aboard a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier broadcast to his crew a series of profanity-laced comedy sketches in which he uses gay slurs, mimics masturbation and opens the shower curtain on women pretending to bathe together, a newspaper reported. The Virginian-Pilot reported in its Sunday editions that Capt. Honors appeared in the videos in 2006 and 2007 while he was the USS Enterprise's second-ranking officer, and showed them across the ship on closed-circuit television. He took over as the ship's commander in May. (AP Photo/US Navy)
NORFOLK, Va. (AP) -- The Navy was expected to release the findings of its investigation into the broadcast of raunchy videos aboard the USS Enterprise on Thursday, including what actions will be taken against the nuclear aircraft carrier's former commander.
Capt. Owen Honors was relieved of command in January shortly before a scheduled deployment to the Middle East after Navy leaders learned about the videos from media reports.
The videos, produced on the ship and broadcast to the crew during deployments between October 2005 and December 2007, included anti-gay slurs, sailors of both genders in shower scenes and salty language. They were broadcast over the ship's television system during weekly movie nights.
Honors, who was serving as the Enterprise's executive officer at the time, starred in the videos. Sailors aboard the ship when the videos aired have said they were intended to be humorous and served as a way of maintaining morale on long deployments.
Commander of Fleet Forces Adm. John Harvey said the videos showed a profound lack of judgment when he moved Honors into an administrative job at Naval Station Norfolk.
The Navy said its investigation has focused on all aspects of the production of the videos, including the actions of other senior officers who knew about the videos and what actions they took in response.
Honors' civilian attorney, Charles W. Gittins, has said that if Honors had been told to stop producing and broadcasting the videos, he would have done so.
As part of its investigation, the Navy prevented Rear Adm. Lawrence Rice from retiring on Feb. 1. Rice commanded the Enterprise between December 2004 and May 2007.