Imprisoned Sisters To Be Released

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

PEARL, Miss. (AP) -- Two imprisoned sisters whose life sentences were suspended on the condition that one donates a kidney to the other are set to leave a Mississippi prison.
Jamie and Gladys Scott will leave the Central Mississippi Correctional Facility on Friday after being incarcerated for 16 years.
They are moving to the Florida Panhandle, where their mother and grown children live.
Thirty-six-year-old Jamie Scott is on dialysis, which officials say costs the state about $200,000 a year.
Gov. Haley Barbour agreed to release her because of her medical condition. But 38-year-old Gladys Scott's release order says one of the conditions she must meet is to donate the kidney to her sister within one year.

• by LeAnn Location: Webberville on Jan 10, 2011 at 06:52 AM
    "Chris", REALLY?!? I'm a "jerkwad" because I spoke of prison life different than what you encountered? Someone should now apparently send me to jail for speaking based on the first-hand experience of others, giving me at least some insight into this subject I "apparently know nada about" (of course, apparently this is you indicating that you, oh great and powerful Oz of your own neck of the woods, knows everything about everything, suuuuure). I'm sorry you took my gerneralized question so intensely personally. I don't need "a clue" but apparentely you need to get a grip, for sure. I also never said that anyone who suffers from a medical condition of a severe nature should "get off", so why don't you shut your ignorant, "jerkwad" cake hole and stop trying to put words in my mouth I don't want there!!! Why don't you get a clue yourself, along with a hug and some chamomile tea so you can calm your volatile self, which convinced at least me that you obviously deserved some jail time.
  • by Dinky Location: WV on Jan 9, 2011 at 07:11 PM
    Whatever the crime, these two were sentenced and serving life and yet they get off early. Gee, I wish I could retire early and get a free break. I am certain some state/federal program (us) will pay for this while those that have insurance are not covered because it is too costly. Maybe I should go to prison for the cheapest health/dental care around. What is it $2.00 an appointment? I am so sick of criminals getting out of sentences early while those of us who work have to "tough it out" and pay for it. Be honest and decent, get screwed. Be a criminal and get the breaks. Seems fair doesn't it??
  • by chris Location: Lansing on Jan 7, 2011 at 11:47 AM
    Yes, as a matter of fact I have been to jail. Spent 98 days in a 5 person cell, 23 and a half hours a day with 12 other men. That is an 18 ft. by 20 ft. room with 13 people in it, so don't you be the jerkwad speaking on a subject which YOU apparently know nada about. And I highly doubt they got LIFE in prison for larceny under $100.00. It is intended for punishment. So going by your rational, we should only punish those who are of good health and let the sick and feeble run rampant in the streets doing whatever to whomever? GET A CLUE!!!!!!
  • by Anonymous on Jan 7, 2011 at 10:57 AM
    Some prisoners need to be in prison because they need the structure. They do not function in society in general. Others are villians.
  • by LeAnn Location: Webberville on Jan 7, 2011 at 09:24 AM
    Have you ever been to jail?!? They don't live in the lap of luxury like you're trying to making it sound; maybe you should actually ask someone who's been there (and don't be a jerkwad and assume myself as I've never been to jail, thankfully). I'm not saying they deserved no punishment, but if they really did only end up robbing for around $100 or less, then I'd like to know how they got life anyway. There has to be some big pieces missing or somebody really decided to start of vendetta against these women when they were charged/sentenced.
  • by chris Location: Lansing on Jan 7, 2011 at 07:54 AM
    Why do convicted felons (murderers?) get better treatment in prison than good law abiding citizens do out in the real world? And releasing them both? Very bad decision. You did the crime, You do the time, regardless of health issues. Should have considered that BEFORE the crime. I'm sure the general public will also be footing the bill for the transplant as well.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 113069164 - wilx.com/a?a=113069164