Family From Howell Killed In Crash

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

Police say three Michigan sisters and their mother died when their SUV veered down an Interstate 69 bridge embankment in northeastern Indiana and into the path of an oncoming freight train.
The DeKalb County Sheriff's Department says the crash Sunday evening killed 45-year-old Barbara Pierson, 19-year-old twins Bessie and Margaret and 14-year-old Elizabeth. All were from Howell, Mich., about 45 miles northwest of Detroit.
Margaret Pierson's infant son suffered a broken leg and other injuries but was reported in good condition Monday.
Police say the SUV went into a median and down the embankment, landing upside down on tracks near the town of Waterloo, about 25 miles north of Fort Wayne. The train then pushed the vehicle about 2,000 feet.
What caused the SUV's crash wasn't immediately known.

• by Heather Location: Royal Oak on Jan 12, 2011 at 02:00 PM
    Sending prayers to the Pierson family. Such a terrible tragedy.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 11, 2011 at 07:10 AM
    God Bless this family and give them the strength to cope with their tragic losses. My heart goes out to you all.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 10, 2011 at 07:13 PM
    May you get answers while going through the grieving prosses. May the lord bless this family and help them through a tough time.
  • by sierra hernandez Location: eaton rapids on Jan 10, 2011 at 06:32 PM
    I am so sorry to hear this. i know barbs sister. she lives 2 houses down from my boyfriends mom. Our prayers and thought are with the family. I am so sorry for your loss Paula and Kevin. Sincerely, Kurt M. and Sierra H.
  • by James Location: Highland on Jan 10, 2011 at 03:10 PM
    They're going to need your prayers and your support. The entire family is beyond devastated. It's one thing to experience loss as we all have to some degree at various times in our lives. But to experience loss at this magnitude is beyond unfathomable. Please pray for them all.
  • by Natasha Location: Mason on Jan 10, 2011 at 03:09 PM
    I had the priviledge of knowing Barb and Margaret while working at MediLodge of Howell and what a tragic story to find out this morning. Family was very important to Barb and my heart goes out to their family through this tough time.I will miss seeing Barb out on breaks and her wonderful laugh and honesty that came across in her stories when we talked about life.I feel very thankful to have met the two of them and they will be missed at the Lodge. So sorry that this happened!
  • by Casey on Jan 10, 2011 at 10:57 AM
    This is just so devastating. I can't imagine what the family must be going through. My thoughts and prayers are with the family.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 113216899 - wilx.com/a?a=113216899