TAMPA, Fla. (AP) -- Deputies in Florida say a man accused of stabbing his 6-year-old son more than 20 times has been charged with attempted murder.
The Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office says in a press release that 23-year-old Xavier Thomas had been watching New Year's Eve fireworks with relatives late Friday. Deputies say Thomas took his son to a play area in the apartment complex once the fireworks were over.
About a half hour later, Thomas returned without the boy and ran away when his relatives asked about the boy.
The family called authorities. Deputies say the blood-covered child appeared from the play area as they arrived.
The sheriff's office says the boy is expected to survive.
Thomas was jailed without bond Saturday. Jail records did not show whether he had an attorney.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.