Update: YMCA Carbon Monoxide Trouble

LANSING - A Sparrow Hospital E.R. doctor put two and two together and got YMCA. Thursday night the doctor noticed two patients had come into the emergency room with headaches and nausea. After talking to them, the doctor discovered both patients have been at the YMCA at Oak Park in south Lansing. The doctor notified the fire department, who checked the YMCA out and discovered there was a carbon monoxide problem at the exercise facility. The YMCA was evacuated while the source of the carbon monoxide was identified and taken care of. A malfunctioning furnace is being blamed. The facility was to be closed Friday.
Sparrow Hospital reports as many as 20 people who had been at the Oak Park YMCA came to their emergency room complaining of headaches and nausea. At least 7 were admitted. They were treated by inhaling from oxygen masks until the carbon monoxide had dissipated from their system.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 25, 2010 at 06:46 AM
    The management at the Y's often ignores routine upkeep of mechanical things because of funding issues. Over the years, the Y has lost a lot of funding because of the recession and disgruntle donors who do not like the way the Y has been operating.
  • by Mari Location: Indy on Dec 24, 2010 at 11:09 AM
    KUDOs to the Emergency Room doctor--he is a very smart one (I don't think many doctors are smart these days and I hate them), but this doctor did a GREAT JOB!
WILX 500 American Road Lansing, MI 48911 517-393-0110
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 112431889 - wilx.com/a?a=112431889
Gray Television, Inc.