The pregnant mother who'd been living with her family in a home on Lansing's Center Street watches as it burns down Friday. Firefighters tell us she and her young daughter had run out of the home minutes before it exploded in fire and crumbled to the ground.
"The roof came off, the flames exploded out the side. When the roof came back down, it collapsed in the middle. That's when the wall was blown out," explains neighbor and eyewitness Johnathen Shaw-Reed.
Shaw-Reed saw it all happen. Just after 7:00 Friday morning, he and his neighbors were evacuating their homes after a car reportedly shifted itself into gear and rolled into the home's natural gas meter.
"I got my daughter out and got the other family members. Soon as I rounded the corner, you could hear 'shhhh...'" he says, imitating the gas leak. "Then it was just a big boom. The ground shook."
"It just blew up," echoes neighbor Dustin McLain. "A big old mushroom just came up."
"I felt the heat, I saw the blast. It looked like a war scene," says witness Brandon Smith.
Police and fire were already on scene because of the gas leak,so the response was immediate, but the damage had already been done. The house is a total loss, according to firefighters.
The family of three who live in the home declined to comment on camera, but did say everyone is doing just fine. Thankfully no one-- including neighbors-- was injured in the blast.