UPDATE: Baby On Life Support After I-94 Crash

By: News 10
By: News 10

JACKSON COUNTY -- The baby of a Jackson woman who died Saturday after an accident on Interstate-94 is on life support, according to family members of the child's father.

Michigan State Police tell News 10 the fatal crash happened on westbound I-94 near Dearing at about 1:30 p.m.

A semi-truck struck a van that had stopped on the side of the the highway. Chad Anthony Cole, 39, and Sara Jean Cole, 35, were inside the van. Mrs. Cole, who was pregnant, was transported to Allegiance Hospital, where she later died.

Her baby was delivered at Allegiance and transported to U of M Hospital.

Mr. Cole suffered non-life threatening injuries and was treated at Allegiance.

His brothers, Ryan and Aaron, tell News 10 Sunday that the child is on life support, though they say they're "hoping for a miracle."

No word yet on the cause of the crash, or the condition of the semi driver.

Officials say this was just the start of a messy day on the roads.

They responded to more than 20 accidents across the Jackson County area, shutting down I-94 for about three-and-a-half hours Saturday afternoon. It's back open as of 4:45 p.m.

They say snow and icy conditions on the roads are to blame.

• by Matt Location: Parma on Feb 7, 2011 at 05:12 AM
    My prayers are with Chad, baby Cole and the entire family. God bless you guys.
  • by C Location: Jackson on Feb 6, 2011 at 03:06 PM
    Miracles do happen. I am praying that baby, Miranda Cole receives a miracle and survives this terrible tragedy.
  • by steve on Feb 6, 2011 at 11:59 AM
    Prayers for this family and especially for the baby.
  • by Tim Location: Dewitt on Feb 6, 2011 at 03:55 AM
    My heart goes out to my cousin Chad and his family. This accident was very tragic and that is there first child. Prayers are needed for the family.
  • by amk on Feb 5, 2011 at 09:00 PM
    How sad. This woman will never know her child and reverse. Thoughts & prayers are with the family.
  • by laura Location: jackson michigan on Feb 5, 2011 at 09:00 PM
    i could only say that i will keep the family in the prayers!!!!i am so very sry for wat has happened and i wish the best for the father and the childen!....god is with you my blessing laura griffin!
  • by Sherie Location: Lake Odessa, MI on Feb 5, 2011 at 06:04 PM
    I believe if the State were salting the roads, there would have been less accidents. Saying it's too cold to lay salt is no excuse. Most people say that salt gives tires traction.
  • by Robynne Location: Albion on Feb 5, 2011 at 06:02 PM
    This accident was acctualy the result of two separate accidents. When I drove through there going west bound just before 1:30p.m. it was a small compact car with the rear end of her car up on the cement barrier and the van was in the shoulder ditch facing the wrong way. There was NO semi there at that time. My sincerest condolences to the family in the van.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 115382999 - wilx.com/a?a=115382999